Monday, October 4

One of the Books that I Encountered...

along my journey to finding the power of parenting my children as God intended, since He decided I was good enough to love and care for them. 

Have you ever read a book that was a catalyst for learning and reading more?What did it start? 

One of the diagnoses that my oldest daughter received was Dyspraxia otherwise known as Developmental Coordination Disorder. It wasn't until her music therapist gave me a book by Lisa Kurtz, that I saw a diagnoses wasn't enough to explain or understand how it effected behavior:  Understanding Motor Skills in Children with Dypraxia, ADHD, Autism, and Other Learning Disabilities: A Guide to Improving Coordination. I'm going to call it the Kurtz book for short.

For me reading the Kurtz book became the beginning of a laundry list of things to do, books to read and people to see.  It was one book that started the process of deciding to home school our children.

The Kurtz book is an easy read, I actually read the whole book, as opposed to The Out of Sync child which I quit reading half way through.  Although both books relate to issues I see in my children, it was the Kurtz book that kept my attention.

I not only learned about different disorders and the professionals to seek, but also what I could do at home to address different motor skills.  There is even a how to guide for promoting classroom success.  If I could find a professional that did Neurodevelopmental Therapy along with some Sensory Integration Therapy, I might have been able to end my research with the Kurtz book.  However, living here in Las Vegas has presented challenges to finding the appropriate health care resources.  Plus, knowing how life is, even if my children were able to get the therapy, it wouldn't be the end. I think that is the beauty of each child being unique, there are no quick and fast answers.  God intends for us to grow and learn along with our children.  At least that is how it is working out for me.  I do find on occasion that I'm not the only one.

In fact, the search for providing my children everything they need has led me to create friendships and resources I never would have encountered if I just waited for them to out grow their delays.  I have met the parents who waited and thought their child would learn and mature despite their problems.  I didn't want those challenges for my children.

This post started because I was referencing the Kurtz book again in helping me put together a lesson plan for tomorrow.  Who knew it would lead me to this post.  
 

No comments: